Re: [gaia] RG Last Call: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 17 December 2015 08:33 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Nicolás Echániz' <nicoechaniz@altermundi.net>, gaia@irtf.org
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 09:28:10 +0100
Subject: Re: [gaia] RG Last Call: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

Hi,

Thanks for your contribution. Perhaps my statement:
> "we are mainly talking about initiatives driven by the people and local
companies.
> The idea is that people will maintain the control of the network they have
created."

Is not totally correct.

The idea is that in the draft we were trying to classify "uncommon"
networks, so we did a "negative" definition, as e.g. NGO. So an
"alternative" network is a non-traditional network. I copy from the draft:

1.1.  Traditional networks

   In this document we will use the term "traditional networks" to denote
those sharing these characteristics:

   - Regarding scale, they are usually large networks spanning entire
regions.

   - Top-down control of the network and centralized approaches are used.

   - They require a substantial investment in infrastructure.

   - Users in traditional networks tend to be passive consumers, as opposed
to active stakeholders, in the network design, deployment, operation and
maintenance.

1.2.  Alternative networks

   The definition of an "alternative network" in this document is negative:
a network not following the characteristics of "traditional networks".

Thanks,

Jose