Re: [homenet] New Version Notification for draft-howard-homenet-routing-comparison-00.txt

"Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com> Fri, 13 January 2012 16:49 UTC

From: "Howard, Lee" <lee.howard@twcable.com>
To: Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis@nominet.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 11:49:24 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "homenet@ietf.org" <homenet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [homenet] New Version Notification for draft-howard-homenet-routing-comparison-00.txt

I don't think there's consensus on zOSPF.  I think there are a few strong advocates and a lot of pointed silence I did present an alternative (based on a draft), which had an equal mix of "interesting" and "bleah."

The problem with zOSPF is that it doesn't meet our requirements.  It doesn't detect borders (unless the border happens to have another zOSPF router with the wrong password), it requires configuration (for the password), it doesn't handle walled gardens (a requirement being debated), it's not lightweight.

I'm trying to be fair, and not just protect the PIO proposal because I proposed it.  It needs work.  Its biggest lack is the need for hierarchical addressing, but I think draft-baker-homenet-prefix-assignment solves that.  I don't want to see zOSPF adopted just because its advocates were louder.

> I think Mark and I will need to make that call quite soon, but probably not until the authors
> of the architecture draft have incorporated the routing requirements and other comments
> since Taipei and put those into -01.

My perception is that we have three people in favor of zOSPF, three supporting a PIO, seven each supporting a different alternative, and 30 silent.

Lee