Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Tue, 22 November 2011 10:33 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:33:20 +0100
From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: robert@raszuk.net
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

>Let me point out that RT-Constrain only triggers reception of what is needed by the PE when new RT is added or deleted. If legacy RTC still requires to >send route refresh from the PE that means that such PE each time RT change occurs will be still bombarded with all VPNv4/v6 routes as specified in
>route-target filter list for a given entire PE.
>Agreed that this may be less then overall amount of VPNv4 routes stored on the RR however this is much much more then needed by PE by any given atomic RT >change.

[SLI] you are right, it's not as optimal as RTC is able to do, but it's less than the entire RIB out (between 30% and 60% of the entire RIB-out for us, depending of the PE config/load)

 >assume this "time difference" is due to a fact that PE will be receiving only subset of all VPN routes in the network ... but still much more then would >be needed for newly modified customer VRF. But again this is the same "gain" as above.

[SLI] Yes

>If as you say there is no NSR/GR on the RR I do not know how you are going to accomplish that benefit. AFAIK there is no mechanism on _existing_ PEs to
>mandate that routes from some VRFs are send before routes from other VRFs. So effectively your special VRF's filters may be send last and RR will not
>wait after session is establish, but will start sending "thousands or million VPN routes" towards restarting PE.

[SLI] You are right, I missed that point, there is no VRF priorisation when sending routes, so legacy RTC has no effect at session startup (while RTC is doing this well, as you mentionned).

Best Regards,

Stephane