Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

<stephane.litkowski@orange.com> Tue, 22 November 2011 09:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:48:21 +0100
From: stephane.litkowski@orange.com
To: robert@raszuk.net, "Tomotaki, Luis M." <luis.tomotaki@verizon.com>
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

 Robert,

>How does support of legacy RTC on the PE helps to improve the overall experience of your customers ?

Here is my personal feedback on that :

In some scenarios (clearing depending of vendor RR BGP code), it should optimize BGP update propagation time (and so end to end convergence for customers) for transient update while RR is serving a route-refresh to the PE. Route-refresh will take less time to be served from RR to PE as there is less prefixes to send, so transient update that must be served while the route-refresh is running, will be served faster. But as I explained , it clearly depends on how the vendor BGP code is dealing with this scenarios (serving transient updates while RIB-out is sent due to route-refresh), but as far as I know (due to personal experience in this area ;) ) there is some code that are causing issues ... But in this case, legacy RTC is a workaround for BGP update propagation time, not a solution, the solution is clearly to optimize RR code behavior.

Another scenario is that , when adding a new RT in the customer VRF, it will take less time to import routes into the customer VRF. It's important especially during some customer migrations (some customer support center already reported to us some issues about time to import routes into VRFs).

Last scenario, is that when PE is crashing (considering legacy PE with no NSR or GR), it's taking time to receive routes from the RR, and during this time, some customer (not dual homed) are isolated.

Globally, when there is thousands or million VPN routes in the RR RIB-out (especially if RR and PE are far, so there could be high RTDs and potential few packet loss if there are low speed links on the path), it's taking minutes to propagate them to PE.

Best Regards,

Stephane