Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

"Tomotaki, Luis M." <luis.tomotaki@verizon.com> Mon, 21 November 2011 17:23 UTC

From: "Tomotaki, Luis M." <luis.tomotaki@verizon.com>
To: "robert@raszuk.net" <robert@raszuk.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:23:40 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-l3vpn-legacy-rtc-00 as IDR WG document?

Robert,
Thanks for the feedback.  I agree with your statement that more than likely, many carriers that are supporting "legacy" PEs will not be able to run "new" services on these routers.  However, for most carriers, provisioning of new circuits/VRFs on these legacy PEs continue to take place.  As a carrier, we continue to work towards improving the overall experience of our customers in these legacy PEs.

As it is the case in many carrier networks, automated provisioning tools only have visibility to PEs and not to routers on a P or RR roles.  P and RR routers are considered core infrastructure which only a few selected groups have access to for security issues.

Luis