Re: Rebooked venues selected for IETF 112, IETF 117, and IETF 120 meetings

John C Klensin <> Thu, 04 June 2020 00:34 UTC

Return-Path: <>
Received: from localhost (localhost []) by (Postfix) with ESMTP id 13D213A0B36 for <>; Wed, 3 Jun 2020 17:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.898
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.898 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_NONE=0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from ([]) by localhost ( []) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id Zx4OOHgqnpQm for <>; Wed, 3 Jun 2020 17:34:22 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ( []) (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by (Postfix) with ESMTPS id C97AB3A0B35 for <>; Wed, 3 Jun 2020 17:34:22 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [] (helo=PSB) by with esmtp (Exim 4.82 (FreeBSD)) (envelope-from <>) id 1jgdpp-000E8o-Ls; Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:34:17 -0400
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:34:11 -0400
From: John C Klensin <>
To: Brian E Carpenter <>, Christopher Morrow <>, George Michaelson <>
cc: IETF Discussion Mailing List <>
Subject: Re: Rebooked venues selected for IETF 112, IETF 117, and IETF 120 meetings
Message-ID: <76FFCB72A361CFEF11E51BB2@PSB>
In-Reply-To: <>
References: <> < om> <> <78A533FE3E36B96D68FE9E23@PSB> <>
X-Mailer: Mulberry/4.0.8 (Win32)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline
X-SA-Exim-Scanned: No (on; SAEximRunCond expanded to false
Archived-At: <>
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.29
Precedence: list
List-Id: IETF-Discussion <>
List-Unsubscribe: <>, <>
List-Archive: <>
List-Post: <>
List-Help: <>
List-Subscribe: <>, <>
X-List-Received-Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 00:34:24 -0000

--On Thursday, June 4, 2020 09:42 +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<> wrote:

> I don't know for Australia, but anyone who'd like to visit me
> or Jay at home will need to spend two weeks in a quarantine
> hotel on arrival for the foreseeable future. And I can't
> foresee when that will change, because I can't foresee when a
> vaccine will become widely available. Neither can I foresee
> what the IETF will decide to do strategically about the
> frequency etc. of future face to face meetings. So I don't see
> what else the LLC could do other than what they have done,
> short of wringing their hands and doing nothing.

And --with great confidence that they don't need to be told this
-- the effect of wringing their hands and doing nothing would
almost inevitably be more decisions made on an emergency basis
with claims of extraordinary authority and no time (or need) to
consult the community.  I recognize the need to do that if we
are truly surprised by something that could not possibly be
anticipated (like the need to call off IETF 107, but I can't
imagine anyone's thinking that setting ourselves up for more of
the same would be good for the IETF.  So, no handwringing and
doing nothing, thank you.