Re: "The IETF has difficulty solving complex problems"

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> Thu, 04 August 2005 15:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:12:16 +0200
To: Scott W Brim <sbrim@cisco.com>, ietf@ietf.org
From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: "The IETF has difficulty solving complex problems"
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Dear Scott,
could we phrase it differently?
I submit that we could qualify (along with your own wording) "complex"
changes as bringing a "revolution".
In that case the problem becomes simpler: to try to tink if there is a way
to make the "revolution" a simple "evolution".

I will take an example. The Internet faces balkanisation. Balkanisation
results from the unsatisfied general need for partitionning. Sovereignty,
multilingualism, bandwidth management, risk containment, etc. call for it.
Let analyse what is partitionning: it is to change the Internet
architectural default parameters from "mono" to "multiple" (one single DNS,
one single governance, one single IANA, one language, one ASCII, etc.)
while staying homogenous and preserving end to end interoperability.

Once you have accepted that, partionning is no more a "revolution" IETF
cannot tackle and a balkanisation a fate to be accepted. This is only a
parameting "evolution" to work on (and test) which will permit the huge
added value of a stable, consistant, secure, simplicity, innovative, end to
end respectful compartmentailisation.

Just beware: before every ship on earth is compartmentatilised for security
and strenght, we known the Titanic case. Experimentation is such needed
before we can fully use externets (compartimented external networks
look-alike), "the _usage_ networks _within_ the network of the logical and
physical networks".

Today, I do not know anything the IETF cannot cope with. Except accepting
RFC 1958 principle that there is only one thing which will not change: that
everything may change. And that architecture comes before painting :-).
Even ways to get funded while staying protected from commercial funding
implications (RFC 3869) could be achieved.
jfc