[ipv6-dir] Re: Updated document

Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com> Fri, 06 January 2006 03:58 UTC

From: Pekka Nikander <pekka.nikander@nomadiclab.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:01:55 +0200
To: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>
Cc: "<john.loughney@nokia.com> (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki) John" <john.loughney@nokia.com>, Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, IAB IAB <iab@ietf.org>, Margaret Wasserman <MRW@devicescape.com>, Brim Scott W <swb@employees.org>, Bradner Scott <sob@harvard.edu>, ipv6-dir@ietf.org
Subject: [ipv6-dir] Re: Updated document
Sender: ipv6-dir-bounces@ietf.org

> Please send comments!
> <q.9-sg13-liasion-20060105.doc>

If we want to include speculative and forward looking text, I propose
the following for the "IPv4/IPv6 transition" bullet:

---

A potential future approach to IPv6/IPv4 interaction is to implement
the so called identifier/locator split in some way.  Among the
various potential approaches being considered, the approach used in
the HIP working group (draft-ietf-hip-arch-03.txt, in RFC Editor
Queue) is among the more developed.  The parallel HIP research group
is studying the problems related to real life deployability of HIP.
If later decided to be adopted, HIP or some other identifier/locator
split approach may make the difference of IPv4 and IPv6 irrelevant,
allowing nodes to be mobile and multi-homed between the two versions
of IP, without any IP-version related visibility to the
applications.  [Technical remark:  While the architectural approach
taken by identifier/locator split is different from the current
tunnelling and encapsulation approaches, at the actual data-transport
protocol level there is little if any difference.  The differences
lie in IP-layer state set up between peer nodes and at the APIs
available to the upper layer protocols and applications.]

---

However, that text may be too speculative and/or something that
cannot be considered as a part of the IETF consensus.  I am
definitely biased here, and leave it for others to make the evaluation.

--Pekka