Re: [IPv6] WG Adoption call for Segment Routing Header encapsulation for Alternate Marking Method

"庞冉(联通集团中国联通研究院-本 部)" <pangran@chinaunicom.cn> Sun, 12 February 2023 07:57 UTC

From: "庞冉(联通集团中国联通研究院-本 部)" <pangran@chinaunicom.cn>
To: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>, Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
CC: IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:57:14 +0800
Subject: Re: [IPv6] WG Adoption call for Segment Routing Header encapsulation for Alternate Marking Method

Hi WG,

I support the adoption of the draft. The draft is useful for SRv6 networks, thus I think it should belong to the spring WG.

Best regards,
Pang Ran.

From: Joel Halpern<mailto:jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: 2023-02-02 08:43
To: SPRING WG List<mailto:spring@ietf.org>
CC: 6man<mailto:ipv6@ietf.org>
This call is for the draft at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fz-spring-srv6-alt-mark

This email starts the WG adoption call for the subject draft (as
requested by the authors, with apologies from the WG chairs for how long
it has taken to kick this out.)  This call will run through the end of
the day on Feb 16.  Pleaes read the whole email as there are a few
points, and it is not that long.

Please comment on whether you think this topic is something you think
the spring WG should work, whether you think this draft is a good
starting point for such work, any issues or concerns you have, and
whether you would be willing to help be contributing and / or reviewing
the work if the WG does choose to work on it.

6man is copied for their information, as this is different from but
related to an extension header proposal in front of 6man.

Authors and named contributors, please confirm to the list that all
known, relevant, IPR has been disclosed.  If it has note, please remedy
this gap.

The spring chairs have noted one aspect of this draft that caught our
eye, and we would appreciate WG members who comment on the adoption to
consider, and if possible opine, on this.  As we read this draft, as
distinct from the related 6man extension header work, this causes the
recorded altmarks to only be updated at routers identified in the SRH
segment list.  (We presume this would include all identified points in a
compressed container.) We could not tell from the document what the
value was for this as distinct from getting the measurements at all
routers.  Do WG members understand and agree that it does have value?

As a lesser point, we consider that one quote in the draft is misleading
and will likely need to be reworded in the near future.  The draft say
"SRH TLV can also be used to encode the AltMark Data Fields for SRv6 and
to monitor every node along the SR path."  It is unclear if these was
intended to mean all routers (most of which would not see this TLV) or
if it was intended to refer to only those routers identified in the SRH,
in which case we presume it will be reworded.

Thank you,

Joel