Re: [IPv6] 6MAN: looking for feedback to draft-eckert-6man-qos-exthdr-discuss (Re: New Version Notification for ...)

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Tue, 05 March 2024 07:41 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-eckert-6man-qos-exthdr-discuss@ietf.org" <draft-eckert-6man-qos-exthdr-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 07:41:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.199.56.41]
Subject: Re: [IPv6] 6MAN: looking for feedback to draft-eckert-6man-qos-exthdr-discuss (Re: New Version Notification for ...)

Hi Toerless, a few comments.

1. The first comment is on scale.
I did never understand all these attempts to greatly expand the DSCP scale. What is the point of having more bits for QoS signaling if it would not be supported in hardware?
6 bits permit 64 schedulers/queues per virtual interface (BRAS could have 1/4M of schedulers per line card but it is still 8+ schedulers per subscriber virtual interface).
Do you know any switch or router that has more schedulers per virtual or physical interface?
Any plans to produce it? Why? What is the business case?
Middlebox could be software-based. It could have an unlimited number of schedulers. But it is just 1 hop from 7.
What is the value if only the middlebox would have >64 schedulers per virtual interface?

2. The second comment on the functionality.
Indeed, some schedulers could benefit from additional information (like "packet depreciation time").
Looking at the draft, it looks like functionality is the reason for the DSCP extension.
IMHO: this reason is valid.
But I have a doubt that it is possible to guess what particular type of schedulers the market would accept. The strong business case is needed for data plane extension.
And I do not see any discussion on BBR/CUBIC/DCQCN in the document.
QoS is more dependent on host's CCA then on router's AQM, but both have the influence.
It strange to see only AQM discussion without any reference to CCA assumed. IMHO: such discussion has no value.

3. New IPv6 header.
The only motivation that some routers would bypass QoS header.
Looks strange because it would additionally complicate CCA-to-AQM interaction if AQM would be different on different routers.
IMHO: The thing that looks reasonable is the request to "add headers in transit". Indeed, tunnels inside tunnels looks not good.

Eduard