RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt - reverse DNS

"Tony Hain" <alh-ietf@tndh.net> Wed, 11 July 2007 01:29 UTC

From: Tony Hain <alh-ietf@tndh.net>
To: 'Kevin Kargel' <kkargel@polartel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:28:29 -0700
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt - reverse DNS

You may have received an answer to this already, but I am just catching up
and since you asked for help understanding, I thought I would provide some
context.

The RIR community is being spun up that ULA-C is nothing more than PI
because some members want to retain control over who has addresses and how
much. PI is a hot issue because there is a potential impact to the global
routing system if it runs unchecked.

ULA L or C is about a space that is not intended to show up in the global
routing system. As such it should not have the same restrictions over who
can have it that PI would have.

Yes an organization with PI could implement an acl or simply limit the
length of the prefix that is announced to routing and have the same effect
---from their perspective---. From the perspective of the rest of the world
though, it is not clear if a PI block is intended to be globally routed or
not so they can't filter it arbitrarily. ULA has the upfront global
expectation that if it shows up it is a bogon that should be filtered.

ULA-L is targeted at the soho router default config and organizations that
just don't want to deal with the RIRs. Their probability of collision is low
enough relative to their likelihood of multiple connections that it really
doesn't matter.

ULA-C is about organizations that really want to have public bogon filtering
to help restrict access to a given network, but also want to ensure that
future mergers and acquisitions or partnerships that form will not have any
possibility of collision.

This should never have been a big deal, but when all the RIRs were refusing
to allow any PI space ULA-C was seen as an end-around that policy. Even now,
only ARIN & APnic allow PI, so ULA-C is still perceived to be a problem for
the DFZ.

My suggestion to both the RIPE and ARIN communities has been to embrace
ULA-C and give every member a ULA-C block in addition to whatever else they
ask for. If they don't own the space someone will, then there will be
competing registries and a real risk that ULA becomes PI due to easier
access or lower cost. If a ULA-C requires RIR membership, the member can
choose whatever space makes sense for their deployment and all this RIR/IETF
noise will not matter.

Tony