RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt use case

"Kevin Kargel" <kkargel@polartel.com> Thu, 21 June 2007 19:25 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:25:41 -0500
From: Kevin Kargel <kkargel@polartel.com>
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-central-02.txt use case

I concur wholeheartedly on all points.  If one wants a universally
visable address use PI .  With IPv6 if an organization cannot or refuses
to get their own PI space they can get space from their provider.  When
they choose to change providers they are not renumbering, they are just
re-prefixing..  I don't think it will be that painful.

Hosts with no need to contact the world can use ULA..  hosts that need
to contact the world directly can use PI.  Simple proposition.

For the folks that really want to use NATv6 I don't see anything
preventing them from doing it.  It doesn't make any sense to me but then
it doesn't have to.  They can do whatever they want within their network
boundaries and they don't have to ask anyone.  I see no reason for a
rule legitimizing a policy that is already within the sysadmin's purvue.

Publicly advertised address and/or defined space should be public
address space and routable.  Unrouted address space does not need to be
publicly advertised or defined.  I see no reason to complicate that.

Kevin

:$s/worry/happy/g