Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation

John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com> Thu, 30 July 2009 15:40 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:39:38 +0200
Subject: Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation
From: John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>

> From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 04:04:23 -0400
> To: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
> Cc: <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router@tools.ietf.org>,
> <draft-donley-ipv6-cpe-rtr-use-cases-and-reqs@tools.ietf.org>, IETF IPv6
> Subject: Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation
>
> On Jul 30, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Fred Baker wrote:
>>> Um, what does a router do? Look at the example in the text and ask
>>> yourself if you want an average user (my canonical "average user"
>>> being my daughter, who wanted me to come to her house to install a
>>> camera on her computer so she could use it on Skype - "did you try
>>> plugging it in?") manually installing routes in each of the four
>>> routers when they could in fact learn them from each other directly?
>>
>> So, looking at this from another angle, namely deployment. I'm a
>> router engineer, I support the use of routing protocols as much as
>> the next router engineer, but I think a good question to ask is
>> whether most home CPE vendors think RIP for IPv6 is hard to
>> implement, or if this is something they consider easy?
>>
>> If it's easy to implement RIP for IPv6 then I'm a proponent for that
>> model.
>
> Linksys and Cisco (which in this context represent completely separate
> product lines, one based on ODM sources and one based on IOS) both
> support RIP; the IOS products support all relevant IGPs.
>
>> Fred, (just checking) the model you're advocating then is that
>> DHCPv6-PD from the main home CPE (with WAN connection) hands out
>> subnets which are then announced to all home gateways via RIP(v6) ?
>
> What I am suggesting is that:
>
>    a) DHCPv6-PD is very likely used by the ISP to delegate a prefix
>       to the CPE (although I know of providers that would prefer to
>       use an option on an RA to do this)
>    b) the CPE router installs a default route to its upstream (duh)
>    c) the CPE assigns some of the implied /64s to its interfaces as
>       described in 2.1 and 2.2
>    d.1) in a home with one router, that being the CPE, we're done

[jjmb] the above is the most likely the near term typical use case.

[jjmb] the items below are more advanced.  How far do we need to go with the
below?  Seems to me that we should enumerate some fundamental mechanisms
that can be used for sub-delegation.  We probably need to make sure we cover
how routes are distributed within the home.