Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation

John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com> Thu, 30 July 2009 15:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:15:17 +0200
Subject: Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation
From: John Jason Brzozowski <john_brzozowski@cable.comcast.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, "Stark, Barbara" <bs7652@att.com>

> From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:53:30 -0400
> To: "Stark, Barbara" <bs7652@att.com>
> Cc: <draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router@tools.ietf.org>,
> <draft-donley-ipv6-cpe-rtr-use-cases-and-reqs@tools.ietf.org>, IETF IPv6
> Subject: Re: Comments on IPv6 Prefix Subdelegation
>

> On Jul 29, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Stark, Barbara wrote:
>> Why does it need to be a dynamic routing protocol? Why not a simple
>> configuration protocol, like with RFC 4191 or a DHCPv6 option as
>> suggested in
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dec-dhcpv6-route-option-01?
>
>> Why do the peered routers (such as CPE RTR 1 and 2, in Fig 3) need to
>> know which routes other routers claim to serve?
>
> Um, what does a router do? Look at the example in the text and ask
> yourself if you want an average user (my canonical "average user"
> being my daughter, who wanted me to come to her house to install a
> camera on her computer so she could use it on Skype - "did you try
> plugging it in?") manually installing routes in each of the four
> routers when they could in fact learn them from each other directly?
[jjmb] Agree here the notion of the user having to configure the network
manually is not going to fly.

>> There shouldn't be misdirected traffic, if the routes are known to
>> downstream devices.
>
> Not so. First, communications are not limited to accesses to systems
> outside the SOHO - music, for example, is often an access to a server
> in the home. Second, the fact that a datagram was delivered to a
> device in the home via one CPE is no guarantee that its response will
> use the same CPE.
>
>> Or
>> is it the home/office RTRs (Fig 3) who need to know which prefixes
>> have
>> been assigned to each other, advertising on their WAN interfaces? It
>> seems like if the home/office RTRs don't know about each other, it
>> doesn't really hurt efficiency that much; it'll still work. They'll
>> send
>> the messages up to the next hop (CPE RTR) serving that prefix, and
>> then
>> it'll get routed down to the right home/office RTR.
>>
>> If peered CPE RTRs do need to know each others' routes, why can't they
>> get it through an RFC 4191 or DHCPv6 method (this would be on the LAN
>> interface). I realize that there are those who say it's wrong for them
>> to solicit (RS or DHCPv6) on their LAN interfaces -- but why is it
>> wrong?
>
> ... This comes back to my question about manual configuration. If I
> can make it work easily, what is the argument for not doing so?
[jjmb] there should not be an argument, alleviating manual configuration
where possible is the right thing.  This would not preclude more advanced
users from manually configuring whatever they like.