Re: "so-called" keyword and layer 3

YangWoo Ko <newcat@spsoft.co.kr> Wed, 05 December 2001 16:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:45:54 +0900
From: YangWoo Ko <newcat@spsoft.co.kr>
Subject: Re: "so-called" keyword and layer 3
To: ietf-irnss@lists.elistx.com

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 08:20:18PM +0800, James Seng/Personal wrote:
> I believe there is also a korean user requirements document. Is it
> possible to share that document with this group? It would certainly help
> to give some insight to why this is so.

Dear James Seng and other,

I copied and pasted some portion of our user requirement document.
We are using the term "name lookup service" to avoid unnecessary
confusion with existing keyword services.

* * *
3 List of Service Requirements

3.1 Return 0 or 1 result
Since the name lookup service is based on the lookup repository
that is defined in [1], the result to a successful lookup is a
single group of information.

3.2 Input is a word or a phrase
One of the main purposes of the name lookup services is to allow
users to use more intuitive and familiar names. In this sense,
the services should permit the use of phrases as well as
the words. These names can be in all languages. Further discussion
includes the maximum words in a phrase, the length of a phrase,
whether permitting special characters (i.e., slash, comma,
blank space, parenthesis, and so on) as part of the input.

3.3 No explicit attribute
Users provide only the naming attribute of the object that they
want to find.  No other attributes of the object are required
explicitly from users. Instead, the implicit use of attributes
of the name is permitted for the sake of efficiency and flexibility.

3.4 User profile may be provided (optional)
As mentioned in Section 3.2, some attributes are used to efficiently
handle the name lookup services. For instance, the following
attributes could be used in user's profile.

* The language
* The locality (or preference location)
* The name lookup service provider

In addition to the attributes listed above, the current location
of mobile terminal might be an important attribute in mobile
Internet environments. Consequently, the name lookup services
can provide a context-sensitive service that can enhance user's
convenience.  Moreover the name lookup services can enlarge the
limitation of the DNS naming space by using context- ensitive
naming scheme.

3.5 Auto completion (optional)
In order to reduce the query error by typing incorrect names,
the service can complete the full names by matching them partially
even before finishing typing while users type names.

3.6 Optional link to keyword search
The keyword search [3] , CNRP[5] and Directory systems [6] are
different from the name lookup service in that the former three
schemes return 0 or more results while the last one returns 0 or 1
result. The keyword search can be effectively used with the name
lookup in cases that the name lookup fails to find the name or
user wants to see different results.

3.7 List of applications
Service should be designed independent of any applications so
that any application can use this name lookup service if it
wants to do.

3.8 Input
The name lookup service allows such inputs as business names,
brand names, personal names, telephone numbers, or even barcodes.
It should include as many forms as possible for the input.

* * *

Regards

--
YangWoo Ko : newcat@spsoft.co.kr