Re: [Isis-wg] draft-wei-isis-tlv-03 (Purge Originator Id)

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com> Thu, 22 April 2010 14:22 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:19:21 -0700
From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
To: lizhenqiang@chinamobile.com, Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>, Jie Dong <dongjie_dj@huawei.com>, "bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.co" <bruno.decraene@orange-ftgroup.com>, isis-wg@ietf.org, weifang@chinamobile.com
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-wei-isis-tlv-03 (Purge Originator Id)

ISO 10589 7.3.16.4 states

<snip>
When the Remaining Lifetime on an LSP in memory becomes zero, the IS shall

a)	set all SRMflags for that LSP, and

b)	retain only the LSP header.
<end snip>

This section is referred to for cases other than lifetime expiration which result in purges - so it would not be surprising to find that implementations today routinely discard the body of a purged LSP if present. As the usefulness of this extension depends in part on retaining the additional TLV information - not only for propogation but presumably also for later inspection - I thought it would be worthwhile to make this behavior clear.

   Les