Re: [Isis-wg] draft-amante-isis-reverse-metric-01

Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net> Mon, 06 December 2010 15:51 UTC

From: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:53:00 -0700
To: Les Ginsberg <ginsberg@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-amante-isis-reverse-metric-01

Les,

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm rewinding this thread a bit, because I disagree with your summary below.

See below.

On Dec 5, 2010, at 23:30 MST, Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) wrote:
> Shane -
>
> The revised draft is significantly clearer. Thanx.
>
> I am still struggling with the justification for the Reverse Metric TLV.
> Let me try to summarize the differences between available solutions to
> the problem with/without the Reverse Metric TLV.
>
> Point-Point Circuits
> ----------------------
>
> Without Reverse Metric TLV: Must change metric configuration on both
> neighbors
>
> With Reverse Metric TLV: On one neighbor change the local metric AND
> configure the reverse metric to be sent to the other neighbor
>
> The difference is then one config change on two neighbors vs two config
> changes on one neighbor.
>
> Multi-Access LANs
> -----------------
>
> Without Reverse Metric TLV: On the DIS must configure max metric to be
> sent in p-node LSP on the DIS for the neighbor(s) of interest (or ALL
> neighbors)
>
> With Reverse Metric: Must configure the reverse metric to be sent to the
> DIS on each neighbor of interest - or in the case of impacting ALL
> neighbors the reverse metric config an be done on any neighbor (DIS or
> non-DIS)
>
> The difference is then whether the config change MUST be done on the DIS
> or may be done on any neighbor on the LAN.
>
> Would you agree with this summary?

In summary, no.  :-)  The goal of this draft is that there is a _single_ configuration change required, on just one router, which would simultaneously add/increase the metric to both:
a)  the local router's interface; and,
b)  the remote router's interface facing the local router.

This is discussed, (but perhaps not clearly enough), in:
1)  Section 3.5, Operational Guidelines, where we state that IS-IS routers MUST NOT modify their existing IS-IS metric, (thus the configuration of Reverse Metric is _adding_ to what's already there):
---snip---
   During the period when a Reverse Metric TLV is used, IS-IS routers
   that are generating and receiving a Reverse Metric TLV MUST NOT
   change their existing IS-IS metric or Traffic Engineering parameters
   in their stored (e.g.: hard disk, etc.) configurations, since those
   parameters are carefully derived from off-line capacity planning
   tools and are difficult to restore to their original values.
---snip---
2)  Section 4, "Reverse Metric TLV Use Case".  Although this is a non-normative section, it hopefully expresses what is expected when the Reverse Metric is used in a network and seems fairly clear that only a single configuration change (to add the reverse-metric cfg) is occurring.

Does that satisfy your concerns?  If not, can you suggest text that would make this more clear?

Thanks,

-shane