Re: [Isis-wg] draft-amante-isis-reverse-metric-01

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com> Mon, 06 December 2010 16:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:51:56 -0800
From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsberg@cisco.com>
To: Shane Amante <shane@castlepoint.net>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] draft-amante-isis-reverse-metric-01

Shane -

I am not arguing syntax. My point is that using Reverse Metric TLV one
has to make a configuration change (whether one command or two) on a
router which:

a)Temporarily changes the metric advertised by the local router
b)Temporarily generates the Reverse Metric TLV requesting the peer to
also change the metric it advertsies.

That said, I am guilty of poor exposition - which is perhaps why Tony
and I were not able to reach agreement. Let me provide a revised summary
of the differences between the available solutions:

P2P
---

Without Reverse Metric TLV: Must temporarily alter metric configuration
on both neighbors

With Reverse Metric TLV: On one neighbor temporarily change the local
metric AND
configure the reverse metric TLV to be sent to the other neighbor

The difference is then one config change on two neighbors vs two
(conceptual) config
changes on one neighbor.

Multi-Access LANs
-----------------

The multi-access case is identical to the P2P case with the following
exceptions:

a)The two ISs impacted are the IS which is entering maintenance mode and
the DIS
b)The DIS change affects the metric advertised in pseudo-node LSPs
c)In the case where the entire LAN is to enter maintenance mode only the
DIS is impacted.

On a LAN, I was assuming the two cases of interest were to either take
one neighbor "out of service" or to take the entire LAN out of service.
In the former, the operation is identical to the P2P case except that
what is changed are the cost of reaching the pseudo-node from the
neighbor going into maintenance mode and the cost of the pseudo-node to
that neighbor as advertised in the pseudo-node LSP. If one wants to take
multiple neighbors out of service then it requires multiple "P2P
operations".

In the special case where one wants to put the entire LAN into
maintenance mode, there is no need to alter the cost advertised to the
pseudo-node - one can simply alter the cost of the pseudo-node to all
nodes.

Note also that - as discussed in draft-shen-isis-oper-enhance - if it is
considered onerous to find the DIS, one can avoid that issue by
temporarily altering DIS priority so that the node which you want to
enter maintenance mode also becomes the DIS.

What we agree on is the need for a new tool (advertise non-zero cost in
pseudo-node LSPs) to assist in making LAN maintenance easier (albeit
this has some risks as you have highlighted in your survey).

What we don't agree on is that the convenience of being able to go to
Node A and issue command(s) which make the necessary temporary config
changes (as opposed to going to Node A and B) justifies the introduction
of the Reverse Metric TLV and its associated complexities.

   Les

ALL