Re: [lisp] Fwd: decentralization of Internet (was Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Sun, 08 September 2013 20:50 UTC

Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 22:50:14 +0200
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: lisp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [lisp] Fwd: decentralization of Internet (was Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

Hello Noel,

> Err, that would get the address and name of the ITR, not the actual source
> host.

this thread started with a subject of how to save the Internet from the
all-powerful agencies. Lisp was not invented to hide your identity,
it's only separating it from the location - this doesn't mean the
location information cannot reveal your (real life) identity. At the
end the agencies want your name, not your (inner) IP address.

If the xTR is close to you, e.g. your DSL router runs the xTR, then the
locator is effectively a 1:1 mapping to your identity. If the xTR is
your office branch router, well, then we have already  (a) a router to
try to break in  and (b) a physical office location to look for you.

And if the xTR is further away from your Internet connection point then
chances are you can get wire-tapped on your way to/from the xTR, i.e.
Lisp would not help you at all.

That's all I wanted to say with my statement about "static setups".

Complete different story is if Lisp could make encryption e.g. between
company office sites much easier, more scalable etc.. Independent from
the original subject that would be a real benefit.

Regards, Marc