Re: [Ltru] rechartering to handle 639-6 (was FW: Anomaly inupcomingregistry)

"Debbie Garside" <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk> Wed, 15 July 2009 07:37 UTC

From: Debbie Garside <debbie@ictmarketing.co.uk>
To: 'Doug Ewell' <doug@ewellic.org>, 'LTRU Working Group' <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:10:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [Ltru] rechartering to handle 639-6 (was FW: Anomaly inupcomingregistry)

Doug wrote:

> I think there are still some basic concepts to be worked out
> since that post 2½ years ago.  For example, John Cowan has
> since suggested using 5-character variant subtags starting
> with "6" to hold ISO 639-6 code elements, instead of using
> the 4-letter language subtags reserved for
> (shhhh) this purpose.  That wasn't mentioned in the November
> 2006 post, but it's something we would have to decide upon.

Actually Peter constable suggested 5 characters some 6/7 years ago when I
first joined the list.

I really don't  have the time at present to enter into in-depth discussions
on the inclusion/benefits/problems of incorporating ISO 639-6 especially as
it would appear to be an uphill battle.  I would rather wait until the
standard is published and somebody comes along and states their need.

Best regards

Debbie