RE: [Ltru] "X" vs. 'X (macrolanguage)"

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Sat, 08 December 2007 19:34 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:34:13 -0800
Subject: RE: [Ltru] "X" vs. 'X (macrolanguage)"
acceptlanguage: en-US

There is a deeper problem we should be considering: when does it make sense for people to use the macro-language or the individual-language IDs in cases like Swahili, Malay, etc.? In fact, when does it make sense to use which in cases for any macrolanguage ID in widespread use when there is a dominant encompassed language? This is an issue in these cases:

ar/ara vs. arb (Arabic)
kok vs. Knn (Konkani)
ms/msa vs. mly (Malay)
sw/swa vs. swh (Swahili)
uz/uzb vs. uzn (Uzbek)
zh/zho vs. cmn (Chinese)

These are all the cases in category 2 of ‘Macrolanguage analysis.txt’ which I sent as an attachment on 11/29. I didn’t include Dogri as I had no indication that doi is widely used, but we can certainly include it for consideration of this issue.

Peter