Re: [mdnsext] mDNSext features/requirements rollup

Alf Watt <alf.watt@ruckuswireless.com> Tue, 29 January 2013 18:08 UTC

From: Alf Watt <alf.watt@ruckuswireless.com>
To: "<mdnsext@ietf.org>" <mdnsext@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 18:07:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.155.4]
Cc: "ajs@anvilwalrusden.com" <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
Subject: Re: [mdnsext] mDNSext features/requirements rollup

I think Andrew's point is worth taking the time to seriously consider. We already have dynamic DNS update but as previously mentioned configuration of the DNS server and it's clients out has proven to be either too difficult or not of interest to various OS vendors.

It's worth mentioning that Apple has all the parts in place to pull this off:

- A Server OS with an embedded DNS server which they provide a UI to manage
- Traditional and Mobile Clients with mDNSResolvers running on them
- A profile distribution system which make pushing configuration options including keys easy

Given the will to get the features implemented Apple could solve part of the problem this without any changes to mdns.

There are still things that fall outside of that scope which we should consider, but ignoring the opportunity to uses the existing protocols seems like a lot of effort to reproduce work that already exists.

Best,
Alf