Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call Flows Document

"Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il> Thu, 31 July 2008 09:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:45:42 +0300
From: "Even, Roni" <roni.even@polycom.co.il>
To: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>, mediactrl@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call Flows Document
Sender: mediactrl-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

I can accept Mary's comments.

My humble input is that the current ecs document cannot serve as a
starting point, it is not just a media control example flows document.

I assume we want to have basic call flows examples yet the document does
not supply simple examples but goes to a detailed analysis of the media
control architecture based on the authors interpretation.

The comments are partial and do not even address the syntax of the
examples. I accept that other people will review the ecs draft before we
can decide if this is a good start for a WG document.

The abstract of the document says that this is not just call flows.

"It aims at being a simple guide throughout the use of   the interface
between Application Servers and MEDIACTRL-based Media  Servers, as well
as a hopefully helpful base reference documentation  for both
implementors and protocol researchers."

Section 4 is not relevant to call flows since it describes an
implementation

Even though the document claims to have simple call flows it goes to
high details based on a specific implementation, the text is not
describing the flow but gives interpretation of the normative text in
the framework document

Figure 6 and the text describes one way to establish 3pcc and not the
media control flow. 3pcc is described in other RFCs and there is more
than one way to do it.

Echo test is not related to the media control call flows.

The phone call scenario starts with a SIP 3pcc  flow describing 3pcc and
the whole example is not a typical AS-MS call flow. In figure 20 it
shows the flow of the media control but missing the step where the UA
using SIP connects to the MS. This is important since we have assumption
that the Mediactrl JOIN arrives before the SIP invite

Roni