Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call Flows Document

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Thu, 31 July 2008 11:20 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
To: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:20:16 -0400
Cc: mediactrl@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call Flows Document
Sender: mediactrl-bounces@ietf.org

I'll agree with Keith on his two points here.  For all the reasons
outlined by Eric, a call flows document needs to stay locked in sync
with the specification so that it *is* an accurate representation of
the specification.  If at some point in time we either revise the main
MCCF specification, or extend/change it with other RFCs, we need to
ensure that the Call Flows document is revised so that it reflects the
current specification(s).

In my opinion, any document that helps implementors better understand
*how* to implement our specifications is a good thing to have around.
If our end goal is to have our protocols widely used and deployed,
anything that helps guide implementors is good.  Call flows, sample
implementations (such as that of the Univ. of Napoli team), "HOWTO"
documents, etc., all are good to have.  It's similar to any vendor's
product release... when the product is launched, there is usually
accompanying training classes, presentations, etc. that teach/show how
to use the new product.

Obviously, though, those "implementation aids" do have to accurately
represent the current state of the specification and so in committing
to create such a document, we are also implicitly committing to keep
that document up-to-date.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork@voxeo.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free