Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Thu, 14 July 2005 14:29 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:29:23 +0200
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Cc: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Nicolas,

El 14/07/2005, a las 15:49, Nicolas Montavont escribió:

> Marcelo,
>
> Actually I read the draft and I think it is a really interesting I-D.

thanks

> And I think it fits very well to the scope of Monami6, since one of
> our goal is also to identify relation between Monami6 and other WGs.
> The success of our meeting also rely on our ability to identify these
> relations.
>
> I think your work may provide additional requirements for Monami6 when
> developing solutions at one point of time.
>
> I think it would be nice to present it during the BOF, even if maybe
> it is too soon to talk about this. But the conclusion of your
> presentation could be to identify if we should clearly add in our
> charter the production of documents which makes the relation between
> Monami6 and other related WGs.
>
> Otherwise, I'd like to ask you one question about the I-D. At the end
> of paragraph 2, you wrote:
>
> If an alternative CoA is used as alternative locator, then the
>   communication will run directly between the MN and the CN in a kind
>   of SHIM based RO mode, recovering from the outage.  However, in this
>   case, care must be taken because the alternative CoA may become
>   unavailable after movement.
>

> I assume that in this case, the communication simply uses the CoA as
> an address (I mean without the MIP6 mechanism) that is why if you
> change this CoA (let say because of a movement), you won't be able to
> update it.

well, actually the text is more vague than this... the point is that
the SHIM work currently does not considers the mobility scenario, so
adding/removing addresses is still somehow undefined. So, the point
that the draft is trying to make is that this particular issue needs
further study, in order to understand how the shim can deal with this.
imho, there are some modes of operation of the shim that could deal
with this situation, but i am not ssure if it would be a clean approach
(architecturally speaking) I mean if we are laying the SHIM over the
MIP, then maybe it wouldn't be the cleanest approach to expose the CoAs
to the shim, if you see what i mean.

hope this answers your question.

regards, marcelo