Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Fri, 15 July 2005 09:20 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:20:19 +0200
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Cc: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Ryuji,

El 15/07/2005, a las 6:53, Ryuji Wakikawa escribió:

> Hello Marcelo
>
> I read this draft and finally got clear picture of SHIM6 and MIP6.
> thanks :-)
>
> However, it looks like both protocols just work without
> modifications:-)
> Can you specify the possible technical problems to support SHIM on
> MIP6?
> Any MIP6 issues which this group should deal with?

well, shim is not a protocol yet, so what it is expressed in the draft
it is just what it seemed reasonable to be expected. However, as it
results from the analysis performed in the draft, SHIM may be useful to
provide some of the features required to multihoming support in the MIP
protocol, being a part of the solution to the host multihoming problem
In order to actually make this happen, maybe some considerations w.r.t.
to host multihoming and compatibility with mip need to be taken into
account while the actual SHIM protocol design. IMHO, the goal of the
work here would be two-folded:
- On one hand identify the key issues that need to be provided by the
shim in order to be useful for the support of multihoming in mip. such
requirements need to be expressed to the shim wg so that they take it
into account in the design
- On the other hand, perhaps there are additional mechanisms,
heuristics and such that are needed to make the shim to fulfill the
requirements of host multihoming with mip. In such case, those could be
defined in the monami wg.

coments?

regards, marcelo