Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt

Nicolas Montavont <montavon@nist.gov> Thu, 14 July 2005 14:35 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:34:41 -0400
From: Nicolas Montavont <montavon@nist.gov>
To: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Monami6] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-shim6-mip-00.txt
Cc: Monami6 BOF proposal <monami6@ietf.org>
Sender: monami6-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Marcelo,

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> El 14/07/2005, a las 15:49, Nicolas Montavont escribió:
>
>> Marcelo,
>>
>> Actually I read the draft and I think it is a really interesting I-D.
>>

> thanks
>
>> And I think it fits very well to the scope of Monami6, since one of
>> our goal is also to identify relation between Monami6 and other WGs.
>> The success of our meeting also rely on our ability to identify these
>> relations.
>>
>> I think your work may provide additional requirements for Monami6
>> when developing solutions at one point of time.
>>
>> I think it would be nice to present it during the BOF, even if maybe
>> it is too soon to talk about this. But the conclusion of your
>> presentation could be to identify if we should clearly add in our
>> charter the production of documents which makes the relation between
>> Monami6 and other related WGs.
>>
>> Otherwise, I'd like to ask you one question about the I-D. At the end
>> of paragraph 2, you wrote:
>>
>> If an alternative CoA is used as alternative locator, then the
>>   communication will run directly between the MN and the CN in a kind
>>   of SHIM based RO mode, recovering from the outage.  However, in this
>>   case, care must be taken because the alternative CoA may become
>>   unavailable after movement.
>>

>> I assume that in this case, the communication simply uses the CoA as
>> an address (I mean without the MIP6 mechanism) that is why if you
>> change this CoA (let say because of a movement), you won't be able to
>> update it.
>

> well, actually the text is more vague than this... the point is that
> the SHIM work currently does not considers the mobility scenario, so
> adding/removing addresses is still somehow undefined. So, the point
> that the draft is trying to make is that this particular issue needs
> further study, in order to understand how the shim can deal with this.
> imho, there are some modes of operation of the shim that could deal
> with this situation, but i am not ssure if it would be a clean
> approach (architecturally speaking) I mean if we are laying the SHIM
> over the MIP, then maybe it wouldn't be the cleanest approach to
> expose the CoAs to the shim, if you see what i mean.

I can understand that. What you are saying encourage me even more to
consider your work in Monami6, because ideally I think all issues
related to Mobility and Multihoming should be dealt in Monami6. Again,
this is one of our long-term goal, i.e. to unify all work on the
combination of Multihoming and mobility.

> hope this answers your question.

Sure.

Nicolas