Re: [mpls] [PWE3] ELI as a reserved label

Yong Lucy <lucyyong@huawei.com> Tue, 10 August 2010 15:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:15:17 -0500
From: Yong Lucy <lucyyong@huawei.com>
To: 'Kireeti Kompella' <kireeti@juniper.net>, curtis@occnc.com
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] [PWE3] ELI as a reserved label

Kireeti,

Thank you for proposing a solution for P2MP. It seems that using one
reserved label for ELI makes the solution simpler.

I understand that current proposal for ELI is to let egress LER distributing
labeled packets and IP packets. Curtis and I have talked about this at
Maastricht and thought that if we could adjust a special label for this
purpose, we might extend ELI usage for general ECMP function. We see some
beneficial to let both LER and LSR to understand ELI as mentioned in Curtis
e-mail and understand this is a stretch for current ECMP function. However,
if we anticipate more and more usage of ECMP in IP/MPLS network, current
ECMP capability will shortly show the weakness in dealing with different
kind of scenarios. Thus, it is worth to think of a reserve label for ELI.

Although when application label is used, there is no need to use ELI in
current scenario; there may be still benefit to use ELI on the stack to make
consistent process by LER and LSR. It can apply to PW PE and P as well
(FAT-PW). This will make ELI as unique symbol on the stack (followed by
EL/LBL) for ECMP/LAG/Link bundle/composite link.

This is my 2c.

Regards,
Lucy