Re: [Netconf] WG LC for draft-ietf-netconf-rfc6536bis

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Tue, 23 May 2017 07:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 09:15:19 +0200
To: andy@yumaworks.com
Cc: mjethanandani@gmail.com, j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de, netconf@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] WG LC for draft-ietf-netconf-rfc6536bis

Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The update is on github.
> http://github.com/netconf-wg/rfc6536bis
>
> I would like Martin to look it over before it is posted.

Done, and the new text looks good.  I moved the new subsection to be
the first in 3.2, and I also fixed some minor terminology issues.

But, I wonder if we shouldn't make the document even less NETCONF
specific, and align the terminology to revised-datastores.  For
example, currently the document talks about access to "NETCONF
datastores".   With the new less protocol-specific terminology this
would simply be "datastore".

Also, we currently have this:

   A standalone RESTCONF server (i.e., not co-located with a NETCONF
   server) applies NACM rules to a conceptual datastore, since
   datastores are not supported in RESTCONF.

I don't think this is quite correct.  Even in a stand-alone RESTCONF
server there is an underlying conceptual datastore, for which NACM can
be used to control access.

/martin