Re: [Netconf] WG LC for draft-ietf-netconf-rfc6536bis

Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com> Thu, 04 May 2017 18:41 UTC

From: Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com>
To: Andy Bierman <andy@yumaworks.com>
CC: Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>, Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 18:41:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.213.48.144]
Subject: Re: [Netconf] WG LC for draft-ietf-netconf-rfc6536bis

Hi Andy,
That will work for me
Thanks
--- Alex

From: Andy Bierman [mailto:andy@yumaworks.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:29 AM
To: Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com>
Cc: Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>; Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Alexander Clemm <alexander.clemm@huawei.com<mailto:alexander.clemm@huawei.com>> wrote:
As mentioned in my message, I don’t think specific access control will be needed (I am not aware of specific use cases), but specifically with the revised datastore architecture about to the be introduced, its impact or nonimpact and interrelation with NACM should be discussed.  This can be as simple as a small paragraph or subsection “Revised Datastore Considerations”.

there is no text about candidate vs. running vs. startup.
The NACM rules apply to all of them the same.
I could add text that says there is no consideration for specific datastores.
Most rules apply to the schema tree. Data rules apply to instance data
but they apply to all instances in all datastores).  I can make this clear
in the next revision

Andy

I also do think that clarification regarding Netconf/Restconf vs other protocols is in fact needed.  I do think that NACM rules _should_ in fact be applicable.  Again, at a minimum something needs to be stated along those lines.  Otherwise you cannot introduce another transport without facing the choice between needing yet-another access control mechanism that may require redundant and potentially inconsistent configuration by administrators, or leaving out a big backdoor that would render NACM irrelevant.

--- Alex