Re: [netmod] New Version Notification for draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-07.txt

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Wed, 26 September 2018 20:46 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 22:46:27 +0200
To: kwatsen@juniper.net
Cc: ietfc@btconnect.com, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] New Version Notification for draft-kwatsen-netmod-artwork-folding-07.txt

Hi,

Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> >> Good enough?
> >
> > No:-)  The authors of YANG modules seem not to understand that it
> > applies to them, or incorrectly use the tools that would apply
> > were they correctly used.
>
> This seems to be a problem outside the scope of this draft.  I was
> thinking to strengthen Section 4.2 some, but this sentence really
> seems to say it right:
>
>    As such, it is RECOMMENDED that authors do as much as possible
>    within the selected format to avoid long lines.

I think you also should change the first paragraph in section 3.1:

   Automated folding of long lines is needed in order to support draft
   compilations that entail a) validation of source input files (e.g.,
   YANG, XML, JSON, ABNF, ASN.1) and/or b) dynamic generation of output
   (e.g., tree diagrams) that are stitched into the final document to be
   submitted.

At least remove YANG from the example, and I also think that
auto-folding of tree diagrams should be strongly discouraged, so find
a better example for (b).

Also remove YANG from 4.1

To further emphasize this, I think you should add YANG and tree
diagrams as examples in section 4.2.

/martin