Re: [netmod] Inventory YANG model (entity-MIB)

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Mon, 09 March 2015 09:57 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:57:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.97.131]
Cc: "draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory@tools.ietf.org" <draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory@tools.ietf.org>, "i2rs-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <i2rs-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, NETMOD Working Group <netmod@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Inventory YANG model (entity-MIB)

Hi Juergen,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Please see some replies inline:

We will take a look at the ENTITY-MIB and see how to re-use and possibly update the materials in that MIB.

> Looking at draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory-00, it seems the whole
> interface list is already covered by RFC 7223 and interfaces should be
> references not repeated (this is what the ENTITY-MIB does).

Agreed, reference or augment the interface module is reasonable and will be considered in next revision.

> So what is
> left is essentially a (not yet hierarchy) of 'cards' that seem to more
> or less match the entPhysicalTable of the ENTITY-MIB (but then the
> ENTITY-MIB has a more flexible model that distinguishes between
> different kind of hardware components).

Agree we can make this more generic for different types of network equipments/components.

> I also notice that the model
> in draft-dong-i2rs-network-inventory-00 is config true - so I am not
> sure how this is supposed to use. Is the idea that this model is an
> interface to an inventory database where I configure what I have
> instead of a model sitting on a device where I can query what the
> device actually has?

The idea is that the inventory model not only can be used to query the information and status of the device/components, but also can be used/augmented to configure some generic and protocol-independent functions on the device/components.

Best regards,
Jie