Re: [Netslices] draft-qiang-netslices-gap-analysis-00 Uploaded

Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de> Fri, 02 June 2017 14:21 UTC

To: netslices@ietf.org
From: Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@sit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 16:20:56 +0200
Subject: Re: [Netslices] draft-qiang-netslices-gap-analysis-00 Uploaded

Hello,

I have just skimmed the first part of the document.

1.) If you pull in terms defined in other drafts or (proposed)
standards, please include the references. (random example: MDSC is
defined in I.D-ietf-teas-actn-framework, I think).

If it is not getting too big and if it is vital to grasp the context of
the draft, I would suggest to pull in the complete definition (and still
reference the source, of course).

2.) Some terms I can only guess what they mean in this context, examples
include terminal, guarantee, or the scope of the expression "individual
parts and pieces of the overall system", which is probably something
like every system entity or subsystem that is required to provide the
capabilities of a differentiable network slice?

3.) In general, I like section 4.1 very much. It enables a good
understanding of what are important characteristics of a network slice
that are potential KPI.

4.) I would like to see an explicit differentiation and definition of
the terms action, task, procedure (and maybe even a "middle-layer" term
between action and procedure called activity - a building block of
actions that can compose procedures). The terms mentioned above imply a
specialization (and there for a some sort of taxonomy) that can be used
to map actual running solutions and actions that can be performed by
them - to more general procedures that are required to create a network
slice on an architectural level.

5.) I like the Topology Hierarchy (Stack) in Figure 2, but I am not sure
if the expressiveness of, e.g. draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology
satisfies the requirements of network slicing. For example, top-of-the
rack data plane units, which physical ports are mapped to multiple
redundant endpoints that maintain a partially merged control plane (to
handle the redundant mapping) but are separate information systems on
the management plane cannot be modeled, I think. This is just one of the
more complex examples that fall under the scope of resilience (see below).

6.) In general, the topic Guaranteed Slice Performance and Isolation
does not seem to address availability or resilience of a or inside a
network slice. Is that out of scope? That is why I would like a better
understanding of what can be "guaranteed" in general (see item 2. above).

7.) I find the title 7.3. Abstraction of Network in Network confusing
after reading the content of that section.

This was just a quick first pass. In general, this is an excellent
contribution and really focuses an essential part of the ongoing
activities! Thank you!

Viele Grüße,

Henk