Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data types

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Wed, 05 December 2007 18:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:53:52 -0800
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@cesnet.cz>
Subject: Re: [NGO] NETCONF Data types
Cc: ngo@ietf.org

Ladislav Lhotka wrote:
> Andy Bierman píše v St 05. 12. 2007 v 10:14 -0800:
>
>> Sharon Chisholm wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> But just because they are used in programming, doesn't mean we need to
>>> distinguish them in the XSD. I'm going to check with some of my apps
>>> people to see whether they would find this distinction useful or if a
>>> single integer which could be as large as 64 bit is fine at this later
>>> point in time. But I was more specifically worried about counter versus
>>> gauge versus integer versus unsigned integer versus. Historically these
>>> turned into CLRs.
>>>

>> I totally disagree.
>> I remember several times, NMS programmers at Cisco
>> asking for int8, int16, uint8, uint16.  It is very useful
>> to have these 'extra' types.
>>

> Moreover, if I remember correctly, they are already available via the
> W3C XML Schema Type Library in both XSD and RELAX NG, though under
> different names - unsignedByte, unsignedShort, unsignedInt and
> unsignedLong, so I think there is nothing to argue about here.
>

>> I also think it has been very useful to distinguish between
>> gauges, counters, and simple numbers in SMIv2.
>>

> I do have some reservations here and prefer keeping types without
> semantics at the general level.

Agreed.
Note that the builtin  types in YANG have very little semantics.
counter32 and gauge32 are derived types in YANG, not builtin types.

One of the most ridiculous decisions made in the SNMP world
was the addition of Counter64 instead of Integer64 and Unsigned64.
There is no way in SNMP to express the difference between 2 Counter64s,
or have a large negative integer.

> Lada

Andy