RE: [NGO] NETCONF Data types

"Sharon Chisholm" <schishol@nortel.com> Mon, 07 January 2008 13:48 UTC

Subject: RE: [NGO] NETCONF Data types
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:47:46 -0500
From: Sharon Chisholm <schishol@nortel.com>
To: "Natale, Bob" <RNATALE@mitre.org>, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
Cc: ngo@ietf.org

Hi

My point in this thread is that 30 flavours of integers isn't where the
real value in standardizing on data types comes from. It is from
agreeing on higher level concepts like IP addresses, etc. I'd rather we
spent our time there for NETCONF content (this isn't about SNMP).

By the way, I chatted with one of my application folks about the 32
versus 64 bit integer question and he indicated that he can't handle 64
bit integers in his application so does want to when they he might
expect them. In that case, a better approach is likely a complex type
which gives length and value. This way if you handle all lengths, you
just need to look at the value field.

Sharon