Re: [NGO] NETMOD charter

"Bert Wijnen - IETF" <bertietf@bwijnen.net> Mon, 17 March 2008 15:30 UTC

From: Bert Wijnen - IETF <bertietf@bwijnen.net>
To: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>, "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca@avaya.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:27:56 +0100
Cc: NETCONF Goes On <ngo@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [NGO] NETMOD charter
Sender: ngo-bounces@ietf.org

Andy writes (in below email):
> In practical terms, it seems that document reviewers
> will have a lot more work to do, verifying that:
>
>    - all these mappings are well-formed
>    - they match the semantics of the high-level model
>    - there are no conflicts between any of the machine-mappings
>    - all DM variants in the document describe the exact same set of XML

The way I had understood our discussion last week is a bit
less heavy. My understanding was:

- WG develops a User/Operator friendly readbale DML (YANG would
  be our starting point, so I will use that for now).
  This will be a stds track doc.
- WG defines mapping rules from YANG to XML (for the on the wire
  encoding). This will be a stds track doc.
- WG defines mapping rules from YANG to XSD (and/or RELAXNG or DSDL).
  This will be a (or more) stds track document(s)
- When WGs write a datamodel, they just include the YANG-module(s)
  as normative.
- All the other derivations can be generated by (multiple and
  possibly competing) tools based on the stds track mapping rules.
  The tools themselves would be out of scope of the WG (similar
  to tools like SMICng, smilint, ASN.1 verifier; ABNF validation,
  XSD and XML validation tools).
- Any additional tools (like the example XSD to graphical representation
  tool that Sharon showed; but also many others) are out of scope
  of this WG.

So that would mean we have some extra work now (namely specing out
all the mapping rules). But once the DML and the mapping rules have
been published, the actual Data Model documents themselves can be
straight forward and simpell with just a YANG module.

We can (in my view) also decide to do just one mapping rule document
in our initial release.

Bert Wijnen