[Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> Mon, 24 August 2020 05:52 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 07:52:26 +0200
From: Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
To: evyncke@cisco.com, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds@ietf.org, "ntp@ietf.org" <ntp@ietf.org>, "ntp-chairs@ietf.org" <ntp-chairs@ietf.org>, odonoghue@isoc.org
Subject: [Ntp] Antw: [EXT] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: (with COMMENT)

>>> Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> schrieb am 21.08.2020 um
16:32
in Nachricht <159802037308.10371.11780852739141456472@ietfa.amsl.com>:
> Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds-09: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mode-6-cmds/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for the work put into this document.
>
> First, I must admit that this is the first time I see an IETF stream
> informational document for the specification of a control protocol used by
> an
> obsoleted RFC 1305. This document is much easier to read than the appendix B

> of
> RFC 1305 and the author takes care to write that this spec is not mandatory

> implement but I really wonder why this document exists ?
>
> Moreover the abstract says "The goal of this document is to provide a
> current,
> but historic, " so why not publishing this document as 'historic' rather
> than
> 'informal' (datatracker seems to allow this modification).

I don't know what qualifies as "historic", but the protocol is implemented in
the _current_ NTPv4 implementation, while the specification was left ot from
the NTP v4 RFC. I also think NTP would be quite useless without that mode-6
protocol or a well-established substitute for that (which does not exist yet
AFAIK).

> Please find below a couple of non-blocking COMMENTs (and I would appreciate

> reply to each of my COMMENTs) and some NITs.
>
> I hope that this helps to improve the document,
>
> Regards,
>
> -éric
>
> == COMMENTS ==
>
> -- Section 1.1 --
> Suggest to replace 'IP' by 'IPv4' in 'IP hosts are not required to
> reassemble
> datagrams larger than 576' + add some text that this document applies the
> same
> limitation to IPv6.
>
> -- Section 2 --
> Possibly linked to my lack of understanding of the purpose of this
document,
> but, if applicable only to NTPv3, then should the Version number clearly
> specified to be 3 ?

...or specify what the version number really is intended to express.

> -- Section 3.2 --
> Suggest to add 'bit' after 'Peer Status' in the table headings to make it
> clear.
>
> -- Section 4 --
> It will probably be useful to expand 'MRU' at first use.
>
> In the "Read ordered list (11):" it is not clear how the entries are ordered

> in
> the case of "ifstats" is it per local address ? Are IPv4 addresses before
> IPv6
> addresses ?

Is this ordering really important?

> -- Appendix A --
> Is there a reason why the mode 7 is in the appendix and not in the main body

> ?

Because it's a different (and really obsolete) protocol. At least per
specification, maybe not by implementation.