Re: [Ntp] [tsvwg] [Tsv-art] Tsvart early review of draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port-02

"C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com> Sun, 05 December 2021 01:30 UTC

From: "C. M. Heard" <heard@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 17:30:22 -0800
To: Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net>
Cc: Joe Touch <touch@strayalpha.com>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, ntp@ietf.org, TSVWG <tsvwg@ietf.org>, Harlan Stenn <stenn@nwtime.org>, iana-port-experts@icann.org, draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port.all@ietf.org, tsv-art <tsv-art@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ntp] [tsvwg] [Tsv-art] Tsvart early review of draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port-02

I read the document, and as a previously uninvolved member of the IETF
community, I am unconvinced that an alternative port for NTP is a good idea.

The purpose for an alternative port is to provide a workaround for
third-party filtering of port 123. That filtering in turn is motivated by
some NTP server installations not following BCP 223 / RFC 8633 with respect
to NTP mode 6 and mode 7 packets. Danny Mayer makes a very convincing case
that it would take much less effort to modify the errant server
installations to follow BCP 223 (which may only require configuration
changes) than to implement the alternative port on both servers and
clients. IMO the only way that the latter could be justified would be if
the filtering of port 123 is pervasive with little hope of correction once
errant servers are fixed. The draft in its present form does not make that
case.

Mike Heard