Re: [Ntp] [Tsv-art] Tsvart early review of draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port-02

Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net> Sat, 04 December 2021 20:05 UTC

Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 15:04:47 -0500
To: "touch@strayalpha.com" <touch@strayalpha.com>, Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port.all@ietf.org, tsv-art <tsv-art@ietf.org>, ntp@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org, iana-port-experts@icann.org, Harlan Stenn <stenn@nwtime.org>
From: Danny Mayer <mayer@pdmconsulting.net>
Subject: Re: [Ntp] [Tsv-art] Tsvart early review of draft-ietf-ntp-alternative-port-02

I agree with you. I have already objected to this draft being accepted
because of this and a few other reasons.

The underlying issue that prompted this was that servers were allowing
NTP mode 6 and 7 packets to be responded to, leading to amplification
DDOS attacks. To implement this draft requires that code needs to be
added to the NTP servers to support this and then get admins to use it.
Instead of which they could just turn off accepting mode 6 and 7
packets. Disabling this is simple. In the NTP reference implementation
this already exists as the noquery option in the configuration file. I
cannot say what other implementations support but they can certainly
change their code to do so. Since this can be done directly the draft is
not needed.

Danny