Re: UK Academic Community Code of Conduct

George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au> Fri, 24 January 1992 01:05 UTC

To: Steve Hardcastle-Kille <S.Kille@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
cc: osi-ds@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: UK Academic Community Code of Conduct
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1992 10:30:53 +1100
From: George Michaelson <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>

          However, when using the Directory you should:

          1    comply with requirements of the providers of all the
               computers, networks and services which may be involved
               in the operation of the Directory.

No international treaties I know of cover this area. I have the OECD draft
on guidelnes for the security of information systems, which looks like
a UK sourced document, and I think some of its provisions could cover.

Its DSTA/ICCP/AH(90)21/REV3, but I don't think its for public circulation
at this stage, and really addresses topics like national security rather
than personal information, based on a first glance.

               These would typically imply

               b    no advertising of goods or services.

I have already been approached by local trades-oids to use the directory
to "target material more directly"

               c    let each individual know on any occasion when her
                    or his details are made known to a third party.

Simply impossible to administer. Consider an E-mail listserv interface
to X.500, or a mailsystem doing fuzzy matches. Do you propose that each
instance of an anonymous call is propagated back to the individuals matched?

How about the existing Public-Access 'sd' and 'de' interfaces published
on the network?

-George