Re: [Ospf-manet] Re: Ospf-manet Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2

Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net> Mon, 02 October 2006 23:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:59:13 -0700
From: Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] Re: Ospf-manet Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2
Cc: ospf-manet@ietf.org

Acee Lindem wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I'd have to agree with Joel. Addiitonally, reaching consensus on the
> criteria
> and who has the mandate to make the decision may be as difficult as
> agreeing
> on an approach.  So, we could bring in others, e.g. the routing ADs or
> members of the
> routing directorate, but this may not bring us any closer to concensus.
>
> Thanks,
> Acee

Acee,

In that case, I am strongly opposed to having multiple drafts.
As Joe implied, this would just create another MANET WG scenario
which is what we were trying to avoid. Tom Henderson also said

> I strongly believe it should be an agreed goal to avoid multiple draft
> standards on this topic.

He also said

> If the WG decides to adopt multiple experimental drafts, there should be
> some criteria defined for making technical progress in the evaluation,
> so we do not come to the end and have the results and whole methodology
> questioned once again.

So, several of us seem to be opposed to going with multiple drafts
(although I will let the others speak for themselves).

I was hoping that the WG would want to standardize the best possible
extension of OSPF.  But from what Joel is saying, Cisco could pay
several people to implement their solution, and it would be adopted
as the standard regardless of how good the solution is?
If this is how things will be decided, then I would not want to
waste my time.  I.e., if we go with multiple drafts and have no
criteria, then I am not sure I would want to participate.

So I guess that leaves alternatives 1, 2, and 4 in your previous email.
I think the best approach is to try to find a team of 3 unbiased
judges, possibly including one or both ADs, and give the teams a few
months to come up with a draft, a position paper, and data to support
their solution (alternative 3).

Richard