Re: [PCN] Concensus questions from Thursday's PCN meeting

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Wed, 19 March 2008 14:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:49:37 -0000
From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: Ruediger.Geib@t-systems.com, karagian@cs.utwente.nl
Cc: pcn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PCN] Concensus questions from Thursday's PCN meeting
Sender: pcn-bounces@ietf.org

Georgios

- it would have been very useful to have raised this last week at IETF. Progress is so much easier face to face.
- are you talking about admission or termination? I got confused; your emails didn't seem consistent.
- I haven't read all the emails in detail, but I don't understand what are you saying that's different from http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-charny-pcn-comparison-00.txt ?  eg Table 8.1 extract:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------|
   |Comparison    |      SM       |       3SM        |      CL         |
   |criteria      |               |                  |                 |
   |--------------------------------------------------------------------
   |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
   |ECMP support  |no;   only     |     yes          | no;  but full   |
   |for           |partial support|                  | support with    |
   |Termination   |with additional|                  | additional      |
   |              | complexity at |                  | complexity at   |
   |              | the edge +    |                  | the edge +      |
   |              | signaling flow|                  | plus signalling |
   |              | flow IDs from |                  | flow IDs from   |
   |              | egress to     |                  | egress to       |
   |              | ingress       |                  | ingress         |
   |-------------------------------------------------------------------|
   |ECMP support  |no w/out probes| no w/out probing | no w/out probing|
   |for Admission |yes with probes| yes with probing | yes with probing|
   |              |but needs many |(needs one probe, |(needs one probe,|
   |              |probes; use of |can use RSVP as   | can use RSVP    |
   |              |RSVP as probes |probe)            | as probe)       |
   |              |not understood |                  |                 |

- you seem to be saying that preferential dropping of excess-rate-marking pkts in your view can lead to problems - and proposing instead random dropping, but saying this can also lead to the same problem (but maybe not as often). Is that right?

best wishes,
phil