Re: [pcp] Proxy security (was Re: CONSENSUS CALL on PCP security)

<yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp> Fri, 19 July 2013 13:41 UTC

From: yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp
To: praspati@cisco.com, alper.yegin@yegin.org
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:41:37 +0000
Cc: pcp@ietf.org, tireddy@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [pcp] Proxy security (was Re: CONSENSUS CALL on PCP security)

Hi Prashanth,

From: Prashanth Patil (praspati) [mailto:praspati@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:57 PM
To: ohba yoshihiro; alper.yegin@yegin.org
Cc: pcp@ietf.org; Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)

Distribution is not a good approach, brings in too many additional problems. How does the PCP Server trust the proxy, how is the key distributed, should it all be facilitated over PCP etc ?
[YO] Key distribution is common in EAP/AAA (e.g., MSK distribution from AAA server to APs). Proxy itself needs to be authenticated by PCP server.  The resulting SA created between the proxy and server can be used as the secure channel for the key distribution. Details will need to be worked out, but I think we need to agree on the use case and requirement before entering into solution space.

Having said that I think the current PCP authentication requirements are still unclear  in terms of proxy support.

The above problems aside, as being discussed in other threads, the role of the PCP proxy is not just that of forwarding but also acting on the request, installing state etc and does all of this based on its own policy. Also, an ISP's PCP server does not need to know of the different users within the home and has no incentive to individually authenticate each of those different users - it's only interesting to the proxy (the PCP server as far as the individual home users are concerned).
For all these reasons, the two legs are independent and need to have independent authentication.
[YO] I agree that your model is definitely *a* valid use case, but my whole point is that there are other proxy use cases that would require end-to-end authentication between clients and server (e.g., public wifi hotspot).

Yoshihiro Ohba

-Prashanth