Re: [pkix] review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

mrex@sap.com (Martin Rex) Tue, 02 April 2013 16:14 UTC

To: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:14:18 +0200
From: mrex@sap.com
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, sts@aaa-sec.com
Subject: Re: [pkix] review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

Stefan Santesson wrote:

> Those fields are not treated in any special way depending on what status
> you provide in a response.

I agree that there is intentionally *no* special treatment for thisUpdate
and nextUpdate, i.e. they should probably be similar to traditional
situations when certificateHold appears on a CRL.

But since this synthesized "certificateHold" revocation for a not-issued
certificate does not originate from a CRL, an implementor might wonder
what to put into these fields when changing existing code, in particular
existing code that would copy values from the CRL for "certficateHold"
that originates from a CRL.

Anyhow, I think that rfc2560bis can not (and should not) make suggestions
for specific values.  What values would your OCSP implementation use for
"good" or "unknown" responses for the same CA?  Those values look like
they might be from the right ballpark.

-Martin