Re: [pkix] review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

"Peter Rybar" <rybar@nbusr.sk> Wed, 03 April 2013 08:35 UTC

From: Peter Rybar <rybar@nbusr.sk>
To: mrex@sap.com
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:35:37 +0200
Cc: pkix@ietf.org, sts@aaa-sec.com, 'Stefan Santesson' <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
Subject: Re: [pkix] review of draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2560bis-15

Yes, "revoked" response for certificate serial number that is not associated with issued certificate can confuse validations systems.

When is used the "revoked" response for certificate serial number that is not associated with issued certificate and the OCSP thisUpdate value is actual time X and real certificate was issued in some short time before X then it will be a real confusion for clients ordering responses according to OCSP thisUpdate value when OCSP database will be later updated with a real issued certificate with the same serial number.

To avoid it the value of thisUpdate of not issued cert must be older then thisUpdate of real certificate with the same serial number.

Peter