Re: [Pppext] warning suggestions for draft-bberry-pppoe-credit

Karl Fox <karlfox@columbus.rr.com> Fri, 09 December 2005 13:25 UTC

From: Karl Fox <karlfox@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Pppext] warning suggestions for draft-bberry-pppoe-credit
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 08:24:34 -0500
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
Cc: pppext@ietf.org
Sender: pppext-bounces@ietf.org

Welcome back, Bill!  It's nice to have one of the voices of reason
and wisdom back in our group.

This group, and the IETF in general, tend to be divided into two
camps: those who remember the IETF's original purpose and strongly
advocate clean designs and proven interoperability, and those who
strongly advocate a conclusion decided in advance by a vendor or a
group of vendors.

We are supposed to be protocol designers to the world, not a rubber
stamp for companies who want an official-looking Band-Aid (tm) to fix
their badly designed product.  That's why PPPoE is not standards
track, and that's why the latest "patch" (to undo a foolish choice
made by the original gang of companies) is also not standards track.

Let me cite an example from the dim, dark past:  In 1997, Bill sent a
message to this list describing a certain company that had sold
inexpensive routers with a bug in the FCS calculation on PPP links.
They originally wanted everyone to recognize them as a special case
(sound familiar?), seeing as how they had already fielded a large
number of units.  But Bill and the group held firm, and they fixed
their broken units.

Broken.  Yes, I said broken.  PPPoE is broken.  A PPP-over-Ethernet-
over-radio design that needs new options to work properly is, by
definition, also broken.  Broken because the designers designed their
product improperly.  And now they want us to accept their broken
design as OK by standardizing it.

Design your products properly and you won't need all these broken
options.  Listen to experienced (and smart!) people like Bill
Simpson, Vern Schryver and Jim Carlson and your products will work
better without all the cruft.

Karl

P.S. My copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" lies on a
shelf at home, gathering dust, never cracked.  Sorry about that!