Re: [Pppext] warning suggestions for draft-bberry-pppoe-credit

William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com> Fri, 09 December 2005 10:55 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:55:17 -0500
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
To: pppext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pppext] warning suggestions for draft-bberry-pppoe-credit
Sender: pppext-bounces@ietf.org

Stan Ratliff (sratliff) wrote:
>>  The techniques described in this document are intended for use with
>>  a particular deployment technique that uses a PPP termination
>>  separated from a radio termination by an Ethernet, and that has
>>  radio-side flow control for a slower PPP-only link to remote nodes.
>
> I, for one, would be OK with this text.

While I, for one, would not! Merely describing the protocol deployment
environment is a part of the specification, not a WG warning about the
poor design.

Going back 20+ years, I have had considerable experience deploying
protocols over radio links.  The best design would be to put a router
at every radio link.  Goodness gracious, TAL did it commercially going
on 15 years ago!  Simple 2 port routers are cheap!

Also, we have seen a long history here of problems with inter-layer
interactions -- multimedia bridges, L2TP, PPPoE, etc, etc.

Something close to the original warning is required:

   The PPP Extensions Working Group (pppext) has reservations about
   the desirability of the feature described in this document.  In
   particular, it solves a general problem at an inappropriate layer
   and it may have unpredictable interactions with higher and lower
   level protocols.  The consensus of the working group is that
   implementors would be better advised either to seek ways of making
   the underlying radio link suitable for general Ethernet-like use, or
   to abandon the incomplete emulation of Ethernet entirely.

--
William Allen Simpson