Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Sat, 04 August 2007 10:41 UTC

Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:41:23 +0200
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement
Cc: ram@iab.org

At 14:25 03/08/2007, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>We would welcome comments on the document. In particular:
>>  - Do folk agree with the problem statement as written, or are we
>>    missing something fairly fundamental?
>
>Yes. I think it's correct to keep it down to the bare bones.

Fairly fundamental: yes.

- What an address is?
- UP as the User Protected address area. Any ROAP network centric
solution will only meet the same problem which is user centric reality.
- all the discussed figures are based upon the source of the problem:
number limited by constraints.

The solution must support billions of AS (real and virtual), routing
planes. Every host must be PI-able.

>>  - Are there other pressures on the routing system that we have not
>>    listed or described completely?
>
>Not that I noticed.

Just introduced a big one. TE must be possible by individual users.

>>  - We intentionally did not include improving mobility as a core
>>    "problem", as explained in the document. (That doesn't mean we
>>    don't recognize that some of the solutions under discussion may
>>    also be applicable to mobility scenarios. Rather, we tend to see
>>    improved mobility as a possible benefit of certain classes of
>>    solutions.)
>
>I think this is correct. In many ways mobility is an overlay
>on a routing system assumed to be stable and scaleable.

I am afraid this is incorrect. Addresses must be defined first: as
possibly made of a stable, mobile, and virtual part (parts in case of
multilevel). If every host is considered for what it is: a virtual
system hosted by a mobile machine plugged into a stable plug, the
solution should be unique.

You can also phrase: address = PA + PI + UP. The problem is much
clearer if these three spaces are made orthogonal.

>>  - Are there other views of what folk perceive the core routing and
>>    addressing problem to be?
>
>Not here.

Addressing and routing are not ex-nihilo. They happen in a real
network context. The other missing point in the statement is the Plan
(as in NIMROD but probably with an adjancy focus).

To understand this, let assume that a complete multi-level solution
has been found, and there is no more problem. I will therefore have
access to a certain level of TE, as a user, an ISP, a Government, of
the IGF. I will then be able build the plan of my own virtual network
infrastructure, and develop an higher level ROAP (routing addressing
planning system) atop of it. This solution may in turn scale into
higher virtuality levels. In doing this I would create a fractality
break in traffic support: at some point [entering your solution from
mine] the architectural vision changes.

I accept to bet it can work and that the whole thing can support the
semantic networking layers I am interested in. But I doubt it will be
optimal. So, it means that under the upper layers needs, the Internet
layers solution will have to be adapted, leading to three
simultaneous approaches (the current one, the solution to the current
problem statement, the new approach needed by semantic network development).

This is why I suggested that one first considers the problems
resulting from the current IETF paradigm, as summarized by the
community two years ago in RFC 3935. Then consider which paradigm
improvements (like for example switching from decentralization to
distribution) could simplify or generalize the problem at hand.

jfc

PS. Some will probably disregard this post in claiming that it is a
troll. Others will try to understand where I come from.

I consider four general communication layers: telecoms between
devices, datacoms between agents, metacoms between brains, syllocoms
within comprehension systems. I currently focus on metacoms as a
support to syllocoms exploration. Network System theories seem to
apply to them all as in any four successive network layers (along
fractality and subsidiarity rules). Semantic networking is currently
supported at the Internet layer (data) and at the metacoms layer
(metadata) but in most of the cases as a layer violation (ex. RFC
4646) because metacoms have not been identified as such by the IAB.

Inconsistency between these layers seems to translate, as for every
other layers, by layer violations and rigidities. At its datacoms
engineering level IETF should benefit from the IAB guidance to
correctly position its work in such a generalized communication
model. The problem ROAP translates is that the IAB does not build
requirements from reality, but from consistency with the initial
prototype. IAB/IETF tunes the network (RFC 3935: "make it work
better") rather than build it.

I fully understand the need to keep the existing past solutions in
tune with present needs. But not to the point to conflict with our
future. I only make the capacity of the investigated solution to
_also_ support the past as a validation criteria.

In the Multilingual Internet case, the problem was the confusion
introduced by the RFC 4646 initial proposition (because it would go
through due to its sponsors). It was therefore vital that its text
and context be clarified and constrained. This was done (but
unfortunately not respected).

So far, in this case I see no other bigger danger than delays for
all. Two years ago I considered that IPv6 "UP" (see above) could be
directly related to semantic addresses, giving them a universal
common reference and an IPv6 killing application. ISO 3166-1:2006
shown the simplicity and power of polynymy (concept name/address
invariance across languages). This uncouples digital and semantic
addressing (including its DNS part: I gave an example with cctags).