Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement

JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> Wed, 01 August 2007 01:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 02:52:41 +0200
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au>
From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement
Cc: ram@iab.org

At 22:24 31/07/2007, Thomas Narten wrote:
>We intended the term "site" to be a fairly general term, one that
>includes pretty much any topologically distinct thing that connects to
>the internet. This includes home users. It is also NOT restricted to
>just larger enterprises or ASes. We'll add a clarifying definition to
>the document.

Dear Thomas,
I am sorry but "5. Provides meaningful benefits to the parties who
bear the costs of deploying and maintaining the technology." is an
error. What we want is to provide meaningful benefits to the users.
The users are those who have the money but no incentive today. Their
satisfaction is the benefit for the parties who beat the costs,
because they will pay. Not the IETF.

The incentives for them the users are:

- to get presentation layer warranties. Each network application
tries to build its own virtual presentation layer features. IDNs and
200 languages. ccTLD with 193 countries. RFC4646 and 7,500 languages.
Addressing does not, while there is an unlimited need.

- as a result SNHN (small networks/home networks) have not been
considered and their addressing area has not been protected and
supported by the addressing format which is for them no better than a NAT.

- privacy, security, national policies require that the "sites" can
decide of their routing.

Addressing is to point fixed, mobile, virtual targets on "the
semantic distributed networks of the decentralized logical network of
the centralized ISP/Corp/SNHN bandwidth networks" in order to flow a
traffic of fractal natue. To match the resulting diversity and
routing constraints (path, access, and content) presentation layer
equivalence is of the essence (whatever you name it: presentations,
externets, groups/classes, views, closed user groups, etc.) I looked
for "presentation layer" in the list's archive. I did not find it a
single occurence.

Such a layer could be implemented in part through the addressing
structure. Multi-level addressing also can help it. May be there are
other possibilities. This should also be investigated through a
"smart NIMROD"? It could be involved in getting some control on
routing? Whatever the solution retained, it should provide the best
addressing and operational environment to "plug-and-play"
standardized sub-addresses.
jfc