Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement

"John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu> Tue, 31 July 2007 18:35 UTC

From: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu>
Subject: Re: [RAM] First cut at routing & addressing problem statement
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:35:00 -0400
To: Peter Sherbin <pesherb@yahoo.com>
Cc: ram@iab.org

Peter,

Thanks for your comments.  With regard to statement 1, we discussed
whether targeted numbers might be worth including but decided in the
end not to do so for several reasons.  For one thing, it's an
invitation for contentious argument about exactly what the numbers
should be -- which would seem to be a rathole.  For another, the
supportable values are certainly a moving target, based on the state
of the art at any given time.

With regard to statement 4, I personally think it's OK as written.
Surely a proposal which can allow switching with no configuration
changes also optimally fulfills "minimizing configuration changes".
Seems like flat-out forbidding any slightest configuration change
would be going too far, though I think it's clear that forced site
config changes are undesirable.

With regard to statement 5, with what other statements do you think
it's redundant?  Note that statement 5 focuses on the alignment of
cost and benefit.

Regards,

--John